Thursday, February 7, 2013

Minor tweaks to the F-35


Elections are just few weeks away here in Italy, and the F-35 is a recurring argument in the debates. This poor jet is taking a lot of flak from politicians and newspapers. It is true that the F-35 has its share of problems, but some of its issues have been greatly dramatized - and it is quickly becoming a common discussion topic (thanks also to a popular TV-show that basically said it is a waste of money and Italy should bail out asap). Whatever. I decided to show some love to this jet by releasing a small upgrade to my FSX/Prepar3d rendition. Changes are as follows:



Version 2.11
February 5th 2013
  •  Minor fixes to F-35A USAF Textures (more accurate fonts and sizes)
  • Minor fixes to F-35B USMC Texture (more accurate font size)
  • Added texture set: VMFA-121 “Green Knights”,USMC,Yuma MCAS
  • Added texture set: VFA-101 “Grim Reapers”, USN, Eglin AFB
  • Fixed default zoom ratio on all external models
  • Fixed pan rate for fixed external views
Files will be available for download by the side bar (a full install version and an "update only" version...the latter will be released at the usual libraries) - I am writing this during the upload process but it may take a while.  Anyway, no big changes. Just some random fix I had on my hard disk - apart from the VFA-101 Grim Reapers paintscheme which I did right now, and which is based on official pictures, although may be a little inaccurate in some minor details. BTW I thought there was a repainter working on this, but since I had no news for a while nor I saw the repaint released anywhere, well, I thought to do it myself.
And, maybe I am getting old, but I have to admit that Grim Reapers colors look MUCH better on the Tomcat. May be this is the reason why the Lightning II is not getting much love...it simply is not so pretty. But it could have been worse... it could have been the X-32... 

14 comments:

ScimmiaSpaziale said...

I had some problems during the upload...will try again tomorrow.

Carss said...

Hey Dino,there is a problem with the plane that when it is stationary, it tends to slide a little to the right, can you fix that somehow??

Unknown said...

Dear Varun,

as clearly stated in the FAQ section of the manual, and in several instances in this blog and elsewhere, the "jiggling" is a known issue and there is no clear solution at the moment - as it looks like a physics engine instability.

Since this happens only when the plane is stationary, this was not treated as a critical issue.

Carss said...

Ok thank you, however may I know which software do you use for modelling your planes to such a high detail??

Anonymous said...

It's official, your models are some of the best updated..
One small request, as a previous poster requested is it possible for a air to air load out similar to the ones in testing of the real f-35. Will round this bird off nicely I think.

Unknown said...

@Varun

I use gmax(free) and I have also access to 3DSMax (which however is a rather expensive modeling) - which are the standard modeling tools supported by Microsoft SDK. If you want to venture into 3d modeling, I suggest you install and read the SDK.

@Anonymous

Unfortunately,whith current 3d model structure, it would require to add visual models to the package - which are already too many. I am thinking to make a model with customizable loadouts (but whenever I experimented with that I failed...)...

sapna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wesley said...

Actually I like the X-32...

Unknown said...

Well... to be completely honest, I liked the X-32, too. Looked like a furistic version of the A-7....

Wesley said...

Exactly. I would love to see a decent version of the X-32 for fsx..
Too bad there aren't enough fans.

Honeycool said...

Dino,

In your previous post for V2.10, I reported about the EGT marker not decreasing no doubt the values at the top does. After installing back the payware v2.08, it appears that this problem already exist since then. Will you consider a fix for this no doubt it is just animation? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The F-35 is a fantastic model, no doubt but I hope there are plans on the table to also develop an AI version so military airports are not absent of this great aircraft.
Cheer's

Unknown said...

Hi Dino, I am a proud owner and pilot of the latest F-36A for FSX ACCEL. And wanted to say thank you and I am very proud to show it and flying it for a very long time. I will begin my test flying as soon as I get done reading the manual and future film will be on youtube as well. Thank you.

John "ANDY" Roque
flightsim Forum.

Unknown said...

Correction F-35A I ment to say.